Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Things Above

I've been pondering a lot of things in Scripture lately, but one thing that has stuck out a lot is Colossians 3:1-4 where Paul tells us to set our hearts and our minds on things above.

1Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

What are these "things above" that Paul is telling us to set our hearts and minds on? For me, the first few things that come to mind are angels, clouds, pearly gates, golden streets and blue skies. Some loved ones who've passed away even come to mind. Is that what Paul wants us to set our hearts and minds on? Probably not. As I think further on this, the thought of heaven comes to mind and I start thinking of the book of Revelation. I see elders and saints bowed before Jesus, angels and creatures worshipping the Lamb. I see a glassy sea; I hear thunder and singing. Maybe this is what Paul wants us to set our hearts and minds on? Maybe. That's not too much of a stretch. However, if I take another look at these verses, I see that Paul is speaking in the context of our death and resurrection with Christ. In verse 1 Paul talks about how we were raised with Christ and in verse 3 he reminds us that we died, and our lives are now hidden with Christ. Even just a few verses earlier in chapter 2 verse 20 Paul again references our death with Christ. It’s obvious then, that our death and resurrection with Christ is the context that Paul is speaking out of. Truth be told, our death and resurrection with Christ is ALWAYS the context Paul is speaking out of. Even further, our death and resurrection with Christ is ALWAYS the context that we are to be living out of!

So… in light of my death and resurrection with Christ, I must set my heart and mind on “things above”. As I read verse 1 again, in the context of my death and resurrection with Jesus, I think to myself, “The truth is that I was raised with Christ, so it follows then that if I set my heart on where Christ is, then I would consequently see myself there too, because I was raised with Him.” Paul reiterates this reality in Ephesians 2:6 where he tells us that “God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus”. With this in mind, I’ve concluded that what Paul is really saying in Colossians 3:1-2 is this: “See yourselves as in Christ. Let your heart and mind be guided by the truth that you’re in Christ. ”.

The surrounding verses, before and after, all talk about conduct and how to behave, but the right conduct and right behavior that Paul is talking about here is merely an expression of who we are in Christ. Paul isn’t giving us more rules to follow. What he’s really doing is showing us that right conduct and right behavior are actually manifestations of Christ in us. When Paul tells us to set our minds on things above and not on earthly things, I believe he’s getting at something much deeper and more powerful than simply saying, “Think about Jesus and the good things of heaven instead of thinking about money, pleasure and material possessions.” Paul actually takes it to a whole other level and urges us to see ourselves as having died with Christ and also resurrected with Him. When we do so, right conduct and right behavior will follow and who we really are at our core will be revealed.

The word “things” is funny to me (if you say a word enough times, it will inevitably start sounding funny). Anyways, it’s easy for us to hear the word “things” and think of items and possessions. But “things” are also events and activities (like “things to do”). I believe that the “things above” that Paul is telling us to set our hearts and minds on are the things of heaven, which all point to Christ and Him crucified. This is obvious when you look at Revelation 5, where we can see that every item and every activity in heaven worships the Lamb freshly slain. Consequently, if we remember that we were raised with Christ and are seated with Him in heavenly places (Eph. 2:6) we can know that as we set our hearts and minds on the things above, as we see the Lamb seated on the throne and freshly slain, we will also see ourselves with Him and in Him!

This is important because the only way that we can truly understand ourselves as Christians is if we see ourselves in Christ. And if we understand and know who we really are (righteous and holy in Christ) then we can be (act like, express) who we really are. Paul is saying that we must believe that we’re in Christ and he urges us to set our hearts and our minds on the fact that we’re in Christ so that we can express the life and love of Jesus here on earth. If we fail to see ourselves in Christ, we slip back into religion and regulations. The “things above” that Paul is calling us to set our hearts and minds on lead us into the actions of Christ, where we accordingly see ourselves in Him and Him in us. Conversely, if we focus on “earthly things”, they will only mire us in the actions of men which “have an appearance of wisdom… but lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence” (Col. 2:23). Paul wants us to focus on what Jesus did and is doing as opposed to whatever is going on around us here on earth.

Setting our hearts and minds on Christ and our placement in Him will change our lives in a real, tangible way that will affect our relationships and empower us in our daily living. As we set our hearts and minds on Christ and our placement in Him, Christ in us will appear in our lives. Right conduct and right behavior will manifest as we live our daily lives!

After meditating on this passage and looking at my life, the Lord has revealed to me that the times when I struggle with sin the most all have one common theme: my heart and mind are not set on the things above. I can think of two specific (yet broad) instances where this occurs. Instance One is when I get really obsessed with something. To be honest, there are times when I just get so focused on something that I forget about everything else; even to the point where I get a little negligent as a father and husband. Not good. Instance Two is when I get really bored or lazy. These times are pretty much times of self-focus where my mind and heart are set on my old self (who I was before I died with Christ) and the desires of my old self. Some days I just start off on the wrong foot and end up believing lies. As a result, I usually begin complaining and moping around the house which unfortunately leads to me chasing a false sense of fulfillment by eating, acquiring or doing some thing. In both of these instances, it’s clear that my mind and heart are set on earthly things and I am obviously not operating out of the place where I see and know that Christ is in me and I am in Him. I am grateful that the Lord is showing me these patterns in my life. In addition, I am also encouraged, because the Lord has shown me that as I have let Christ and Him crucified be the focus of my life, both Instances One and Two occur a lot less than they used to. Praise Jesus!

To set our hearts and minds on things above is to recognize our death and resurrection with Him and to see ourselves seated with Him in heaven. When we do so, Christ will appear in our lives and love, joy, peace and righteousness will be expressed in our conduct and behavior!

To be continued…

0 comments:

Post a Comment